Last night, I was lucky enough to spend my first New Year in the same country as my love, and I got to spend it in my new country! I can honestly say, it was the best New Year's ever. The Dutch really know how to have fun on Old Year's Eve!
Back home in Georgia, folks eat black eyed peas and collard greens for luck. Here in the Netherlands, the New Year's food of choice is Oliebollen. Think funnel cake batter but rolled into a ball, complete with powdered sugar. Unfortunately, when Loek went to the store yesterday, they were out. But I can say from previous experience this month that Oliebollen are awesome. You can get them with or without raisons. I get mine without.
While it is popular to go out on New Year's, Loek and I decided to stay in. We are still on a single income and have some very important guests coming in later this month. So, we drank some beer and watched movies waiting for the magic hour. Our movie watching was disrupted by the occasional firework, but more on that later. Finally, it was Midnight so we kissed and headed up to the roof. *and now for a little background info* on New Year's eve the people of the Netherlands spend 50,000,000 Euros on fireworks, and not the puny one's the big ones!
Because Holland is so flat, being at a higher elevation you can see for miles around. Which means that you can see fireworks from all the surrounding towns. All at once, in every direction you want to look in. Imagine it like if you were in Downtown Atlanta and could see all the fireworks there on the 4th, with Lawrenceville's, Stone Mountain's, Decatur's, Alpharetta's and every other small town in the surrounding area going off all at once. And instead of lasting half an hour, it lasts for at least 2. It was amazing! I never want to spend New Year's anywhere else! Check out Loek's video below. Happy New Year Lovelies!
- Umm, hey, I can't take 100% 1 day 16 hours ago
- That was such an action 2 days 16 hours ago
- It really was super fun. And 2 days 19 hours ago
- Oh my gosh, thank you for 2 days 21 hours ago
- I love it too! We missed you 2 days 21 hours ago
- I'm also looking forward to 2 days 22 hours ago
- Thank you! I'm glad you found 2 days 22 hours ago
- I'm going to get one with 2 days 22 hours ago
- I will totally come visit you 2 days 22 hours ago
- Maybe because you still work 3 days 9 hours ago