Before I left The States, my dear friends were nice enough to throw me a lingerie bridal shower. It was amazing and so much fun, a girl couldn't ask for a better send off! Then a few weeks later I got this lovely book of pictures in the mail from my friend Kay! It makes a lovely addition to my home decor and is an easy flip through when I really miss my friends!
Today, I was talking to a new friend about the differences in being engaged here vs The States. When you get engaged in The States, one of the first questions that is asked is when you are getting married. In contrast, when we told Loek's friends they asked what year we were getting married. From what I've gathered, it seems that a trend here is to move in together, have a baby, and then get married. As opposed to the popular nursery rhyme "First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage" that was popular when I was a kid. I don't think that one is better than the other, do what makes you happy, this is just an observation in cultural differences.
If Loek had wanted to move to the US on a similar visa like I have, we would have to be married. There is no such clause on my visa for here. So, while we are still getting married one day, it will probably be a very long engagement.
- Visiting Holland 2 months 3 weeks ago
- I tried indoor skying and 3 months 3 weeks ago
- Aww so sweet! I am so glad 5 months 1 day ago
- Your life is so exciting! I'm 5 months 1 day ago
- Oh man, I always thought that 5 months 2 days ago
- Oh man, I think I did 5 months 2 days ago
- Glad you're back! I have to 5 months 5 days ago
- Haha, life just gets in the 5 months 3 weeks ago
- So glad you're back! 5 months 3 weeks ago
- Thank you! 5 months 3 weeks ago