Leeks are one of the most underused vegetables in the United States. Which is a real shame, because it is one of my favorites, and one of the only veggies Loek and I can agree on. I think perhaps leeks are intimidating to most Americans because we never learn to cook them properly. In another post, I will have to show you how I clean and cut leeks, but for this recipe I cheated and used pre-cut leeks. This recipe has special meaning for me because it is the first meal my future mother-in-law made for me. Here is what you need:
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings.
- 2 cups of chopped leeks. Conventional wisdom will say only the light green and white parts, but if you get a few leaves in there it is okay.
- 500g or 1lb of lean ground beef
- 1tbsp plus 1tsp curry powder
- 1 beef bouillon cup. I use Maggi brand
- 3 cups of peeled boiled potatoes. Pre-cooked is fine
Place your ground beef is a large, deep skillet. Brown on medium high heat until almost all done and drain. Move all meat to one side of the pan and add in the leeks. Cook for 4 minutes, moving the leeks around on their side.
Mix the meat and leeks together. Add curry powder and mix. Cook for 2 mins.
Add in the bouillon cup, stir around to distribute the flavor. Add in 1 ½ cups of water and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Place on top of cooked potatoes. Then mash with a fork and voila!
- That sounds awesome! 2 weeks 1 hour ago
- Greek cheese pie made with 2 weeks 10 hours ago
- Happy Thanksgiving! I won't 2 weeks 1 day ago
- Thank you Sophia! I would 2 weeks 1 day ago
- Happy Thanksgiving Kaitlin! 2 weeks 1 day ago
- Sorry you had a bad day. :( 2 weeks 1 day ago
- Hurray for expat 2 weeks 6 days ago
- I highly recommend hosting a 3 weeks 3 days ago
- Hopping over from Melyssa's 3 weeks 3 days ago
- I'm so excited you're doing 1 month 4 hours ago