I have a well documented love affair with books. Just check out this post and this one! While I love the Utrecht Library System and my kindle, sometimes you just want to own books. They are great for decorating and as conversational starters. But, books printed in English are counted as imports here which can be very expensive, especially for an expat with no job and about to go back to school.
Which is why I was so excited when in Amsterdam for an interview this week, I had time to meet up with my bud Lily. We ended up meeting at the Waterlooplein Markt, where she had already found a great deal on used English books. We shopped around, I ended up getting 10 books for 8 Euros. Pretty good deal if I say so myself. The Waterlooplein Markt is one of my favorite markets here in The Netherlands, you never know what you will find there.
Another cool market in Amsterdam is the Boeken Markt (Book Market) which takes place every Friday at Beguinage, about a15 minute walk from the Amsterdam Centraal Station. I have only been there once, but I hope to go more often when I start attending school in September.
Are you an expat? If so, where do you get your books?
- Umm, hey, I can't take 100% 1 day 9 hours ago
- That was such an action 2 days 9 hours ago
- It really was super fun. And 2 days 12 hours ago
- Oh my gosh, thank you for 2 days 14 hours ago
- I love it too! We missed you 2 days 15 hours ago
- I'm also looking forward to 2 days 15 hours ago
- Thank you! I'm glad you found 2 days 15 hours ago
- I'm going to get one with 2 days 15 hours ago
- I will totally come visit you 2 days 15 hours ago
- Maybe because you still work 3 days 2 hours ago