Looking at the friends I have made so far in The Netherlands, most of them are fellow Americans. This was never my intention, but it makes sense, my only passable language at the moment is English, and we are all going through a lot of the same things. However, having your main friend group tied to another country besides the one you are planning to live in long term presents its a whole new set of problems. Being an expat for many is a very transient period, it is something they are trying on and eventually, most will probably move on. Either back to their home country or the will move elsewhere abroad.
A few weeks ago, I had my first of what I am sure is many goodbyes to a friend who moved back to The States. To be fair, when I met her she told me that her and her husband were not looking to stay here long term. Neither of us expected her to leave as soon as she did. I am very thankful for the warning because I feel like I knew going in that the living in the same country part of our friendship had an expiration date. Not our friendship itself, just the both living in Utrecht part. I miss you Amanda!
Knowing that your friends might leave is just part of the living life abroad. Sure it is painful, but does that mean that you shouldn't make friends with anyone? My advice is to cherish the relationships you are able to make at any point in your life. If a friend does end up leaving, do your best to keep in touch, and look forward to the places you will now get to go visit. Speaking of keeping in touch, I owe some people some skype dates. Let's make them happen people!
Have you had friends leave? How did you deal with it?
- Welcome back! 3 weeks 6 days ago
- Hi Kaitlin, 4 weeks 1 day ago
- Thinking of you and your 2 months 1 week ago
- Visiting Holland 5 months 2 days ago
- I tried indoor skying and 6 months 5 days ago
- Aww so sweet! I am so glad 7 months 1 week ago
- Your life is so exciting! I'm 7 months 1 week ago
- Oh man, I always thought that 7 months 1 week ago
- Oh man, I think I did 7 months 1 week ago
- Glad you're back! I have to 7 months 2 weeks ago