I love living here in Utrecht, but some things the US just does better! Here are some of the things that I took for granted about the US.
- Prices, everything besides food is cheaper in the United States. I don't think it has that much to do with the exchange rate either.
- Mega stores! I really miss one stop shopping. While specialty stores are really quaint, it takes a long time to know where to go for what. I miss knowing that I could get it at Target!
- Store hours, I respect that people need to spend time with their families. But if you discover that at 3pm on a Sunday that you need a calculator for a test first thing Monday morning, you better hope you live near a major train station that has a book store, because otherwise you are shit out of luck. Unless it is a grocery store, the store will close by 6pm on a weekday, unless it is Thursday when it might be open until 8. Open for four hours on Saturday and closed on Sunday. It is anyone's guess as to when it will be opened.
- I miss a good cheeseburger, I haven't found a good one just yet.
- Mac and Cheese requires some heavy searching for cheddar cheese.
- If you forgot something, you have to bike all the way back to get it!
- Being able to bake a cake when I want to, my oven is the size of a microwave.
- Taco Bell, Chick fil a, Sonic,Zaxby's,Waffle House, Taco Mac, Marlows.
Odds and Ends-
- Magazines, I miss my subscriptions! Subscriptions do not save you any money here, and magazines are expensive.
- 3 ringed binders, paper here has holes all up and down the side.
- Office supply stores.
- Stand up vacums. Seriously, why are all vacuums the kind with long hoses that you have to drag all over the house?
What did you take for granted about your home country?